Snow Problems back in the 50's & 60's

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Snow Problems back in the 50's & 60's

Post by 35005CP on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:49 am

Hi all,

With what I have been hearing today with the problems on the rail network because of the snow. It got me thinking. Did railways come to a halt in the 50's & 60's with Steam. As from my experience steam would have blown away alot of snow/ice when Cylinder cocks etc were opened??

What are other peoples thoughts on this??

Andy

Admin
Admin

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk & http://www.wix.com/35005cp

Back to top Go down

Re: Snow Problems back in the 50's & 60's

Post by 34070 Manston on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:59 am

35005CP wrote:Hi all,

With what I have been hearing today with the problems on the rail network because of the snow. It got me thinking. Did railways come to a halt in the 50's & 60's with Steam. As from my experience steam would have blown away alot of snow/ice when Cylinder cocks etc were opened??

Andy
Andy,

There is plenty of photographic evidence of Steam Locomotives operating in worse conditions than we were subjected to last week.

Steam engines have sandboxes with which to "grit" the track, and don't have to contend with a "juice rail".

Then, I imagine weight would be a factor. An original condition Merchant Navy, being lighter than a "rebuilt" weighs 142ton 14cwt.

It carries 5 ton of coal, and the smallest tender has a water capacity of 5000 gallons, which weighs a little over 18ton 10cwt.

That gives a total weight of just over 166ton 4cwt.

Compare that to a 375/6, 375/7, 375/8 or 375/9 E.M.U., which has a total weight for the entire unit of 170ton!

34070 Manston

Location : 74B - and I've got the Shed Plate T-shirt to prove it!

Back to top Go down

Post by 35005CP on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:19 am

34070 Manston wrote:
35005CP wrote:Hi all,

Andy
Andy,

There is plenty of photographic evidence of Steam Locomotives operating in worse conditions than we were subjected to last week.

Steam engines have sandboxes with which to "grit" the track, and don't have to contend with a "juice rail".

Then, I imagine weight would be a factor. An original condition Merchant Navy, being lighter than a "rebuilt" weighs 142ton 14cwt.

It carries 5 ton of coal, and the smallest tender has a water capacity of 5000 gallons, which weighs a little over 18ton 10cwt.

That gives a total weight of just over 166ton 4cwt.

Compare that to a 375/6, 375/7, 375/8 or 375/9 E.M.U., which has a total weight for the entire unit of 170ton!

Question...Does an Original Merchant weigh less than a rebuilt. I thought the rebuilt form of a Merchant or a W/C & BoB was to redcuce the weight ratio and to change the drive nature of a Bulleid?
As for gritting the track - I agree entirely, apart form the fact that Bulleids are light on their feet; unless they have an experienced driver on the regulator (i.e tend to wheel-slip)
As for the Juice rail. In light of recent weeks they are looking at heating the 3rd rail; such as what the DLR do. Could be interesting considering the government are sucking the country up for everything they can currently!!

Admin
Admin

http://nineelms.freeforum.me.uk & http://www.wix.com/35005cp

Back to top Go down

Post by 34070 Manston on Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:32 am

35005CP wrote:
Question...Does an Original Merchant weigh less than a rebuilt. I thought the rebuilt form of a Merchant or a W/C & BoB was to redcuce the weight ratio and to change the drive nature of a Bulleid?
As for gritting the track - I agree entirely, apart form the fact that Bulleids are light on their feet; unless they have an experienced driver on the regulator (i.e tend to wheel-slip)
As for the Juice rail. In light of recent weeks they are looking at heating the 3rd rail; such as what the DLR do. Could be interesting considering the government are sucking the country up for everything they can currently!!
An "Original" does, indeed, weigh less than a "Rebuilt".

As built, the Merchant Navy weighed in at 142 tons 14 cwt.

By the time Mr Jarvis whipped out the bicycle chain, nailed on various fancy bits and pieces around the cylinders and threw the "air-smoothed" cladding into the nearest skip, he basically ended up with a 3 cylinder Britannia with an oval smokebox door, that weighed in at 151 tons 8 cwt!! Rolling Eyes

The same applied to the "lightweights", but as the name implies, not to the same extent.

As regards heating the "juice" rail, there's an article in the railway press about it this week. A fellow, whose name currently eludes me, has been commissioned to do a feasability study for Numpty Rail.

34070 Manston

Location : 74B - and I've got the Shed Plate T-shirt to prove it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top